Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Recovery

As I look back at last year at this time to now, I'm reminded of the events that happened that have left me feeling beaten up. A year ago this month, my mom died. In September I broke my knee. October I had to have surgery on my knee. In January, I had to have my frozen knee bent under anesthetic. This spring, I have been battling asthma like I haven't battled it in a long time. I'm tired. I'm weary. I'm wiser. I'm closer to God. I'm determined.

Today I went to the Y. I rode the bike for 20 minutes, 6.3 miles and then I worked the weight machines. I looked down at the scarred knee, that has been through so much, lifting weights. The muscles flexing, the knee bending, and it looked beautiful. I remembered the cast I wore. I remembered the brace I wore. I remembered crying as I tried desparately to bend a frozen knee. I remembered the excrutiating pain after my surgery. I remembered feeling weak and helpless. I remembered the frustration. I thought of how I have struggled with neck and shoulder pain for years. It was confirmed as I strained lifting 10 lbs. with rows and overhead presses.

I'm tired of being weak. I'm tired of pain. I'm tired of being fragile. I hate that I've gained weight as a result of being laid up. I haven't liked having to use the handicap parking. I want to be able to go up the stairs without whincing in pain.

On May 11, I am going to have another surgery on my knee to remove the pins and wire that are currently in my knee. I will have two weeks to recover from that, then the stitches come out and the nightmare...for all intents and purposes...is over. I am taking the summer off school and am focusing on healing...inside and out. I hope to start the fall semester healthier, happier and more in control.

To God Be The Glory!!!

3 comments:

  1. Lauri, you have been through so much this year yet you seem to have such a peace about it all. When I felt so overwhelmed a few months ago and needed to tell someone about my brother and what I've been going through, you kept coming to came to mind because you've been through such adversity and you're still praising God. Thank you for that.

    I'm praying for your surgery and for your summer of healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praising God for a light at the end of the tunnel. I love how He holds us through a long, dark season and then shows us a finish line. May you know the lavish love of Christ through this time when all the earth is growing and green. Let it mirror your heart before Him. PRAYING for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your heart Lauri! I had no idea that you had been through so much. I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete