Saturday, February 5, 2011

It's All About Him

Phillipians 1
v. 21: For me, living is Christ and dying is gain.
v. 22: Now, if I live on in the flesh, this means fruitful work for me; and I don't know which one I should choose.
v. 23: I am pressured by both. I have the desire to depart and be with Christ -- which is far better --
v. 24: But to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you.
v. 25: Since I am persuaded of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your advancement and joy in the faith,
v. 26: so that, because of me, your confidence may grow in Christ Jesus when I come to you again.

It's all about Christ Jesus. For Paul, to live on this earth was to live for Jesus and to advance others in the faith. That was his sole purpose for living. Dying, on the other hand, would be "far better" because he would actually be with the One he lived for...Jesus.

I am struck by this man. Paul, when his name was Saul, hated the followers of Christ. He persecuted them, tortured them and murdered them. He opposed Christ with the same passion he later followed Christ. He encountered Jesus. He experienced His power, His presence...Him. That one encounter changed him forever.Jesus was Who he lived for and Who he longed to die for.

Often I hear this passage taught as the dying referred to as dying to the flesh or to self. While I believe that to be an option as well, I think Paul is talking about actual physical death. Paul knew that when he died, he would go to be with the One he loved...Jesus. I'd be willing to bet that had Paul lived in this day and age of medical technology and advancement, he would have a DNR (do not  resuscitate) order on his medical chart, regardless of the situation. He saw nothing bad about dying. He wanted to go. This is not to say he was suicidal, hopeless or depressed; he just knew the world was not his home and he was just visiting. But, he knew he needed to be here not so he could gain status, money, things or "find himself"; but so he could minister to the followers of Christ in his care. He knew he needed to be there to support them in their walk with Christ. That was his call and he knew he had work to do.

Followers of Jesus Christ should see death as joy. Those of us who lose someone who is a follower of Christ, while of course grieving, should also celebrate for them. They are home!! While we are here, God has work for us to do that is not all about us...but all about our Savior and Lord, Jesus!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment