Monday, January 17, 2011

Join Me In Study

Last week, I felt God prompting me to get more out of my time in His word. As a result, I have begun writing about what I have found in scripture...I guess you might call it a commentary of sorts. Anyway, I have again felt God's prompting to share my writings with my blog friends. I know it's been a while since I've blogged and I hope you'll forgive me. But, this may keep me in blog world on a more consistent basis. Can't promise every day but I will try.

The more I read God's word, the closer I get to God and the more I desire Him, the more I realize the temporary, unimportance of the things of this world. Today as I prayed whole-heartedly to die to myself so that God could take this vessel and use it to His glory, these lyrics from an hold hymn sang through my heart...

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face.
And the things of this earth,
will grow strangely dim
in the light of His glory and grace.

Over the past few years, I have become so aware of eternity. It causes me to look at this world with different eyes. Even with that, I'm always amazed how this world can suck me in and cause me to think it is the end all, be all. But it's not. Not even my body that has stolen so much emotional energy with its imperfections will go to eternity with me. It's a vessel and will not last after I die. It will rot and become unrecognizable.

My reading this morning in II Corinthians 4:16-18 says this:

Therefore, we do not give up; even though our outer person is being destroyed, our inner person is being renewed day by day. For out momentary light affliction is producing for us an absolutely incomparable eternal weight of glory. So we do not focus on what is seen, but what is unseen; for what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Paul got it. He understood. How easy was it for him to keep his mind set on that truth? I can't help but wonder about him and people like Brother Lawrence who lived in an easier, less distracting time. How would they fare with today's distractions? This world SCREAMS for our attention. It makes the temporary and pointless seem like life and death. It titillates our senses and tries to convince us that it is our reason for living.

It's all about God and His kingdom. Eternity is very real and forever. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes as you get older and I am getting OLDER you think more and more about your immortality. I may have a little fear, but I have read that when the time comes (I don't believe it is that soon), that God will prepare me. Eighteen months ago when I almost died I was not afraid. So it is something that I don't dewel on, when my time comes he will let me know.

    I read the bible every morning when I get up and sometimes I get angry with myself, because my mind wonders (about what I plan on doing today) or I just don't really understand completely what I am reading. I know that through bible study on Wed. evening and Sunday school I have learned a great deal.

    I am also trying to deal with my purpose. He let me survive and I ask him several times a day to show me what he wants me to do. I am "slow" at times so I can just pray, "Dear Lord open my eyes to see and open my ears to hear." I know that he will guide me.

    Fred Jacobi

    ReplyDelete