Saturday, January 29, 2011

Hope With God

Ephesians 2
v.1: And you were dead in your trespasses and sins
v.2: in which you previously walked according to this worldly age, according to the ruler of this atmospheric domain, the spirit now working in the disobedient.
v.12: At that time, you were without the Messiah, excluded from the citizenship of Israel, and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, with no hope and without God in the world.

Can you imagine that?? "No hope and without God in the world". I think sometimes when we talk of being saved and Jesus' sacrifice, we hear it so often, we actually become numb to the magnitude of it. Jesus saved us...rescued us from being without God. Think about that!! What would it be like to live in this world without God?? There would be absolutely no hope here or for eternity. Can you imagine facing trials in your life without God?? Trials such as losing a loved one unexpectedly; suffering an accident that leaves you permanently disabled; being diagnosed with a terminal illness; facing the financial ruin of a company you built from scratch; or finding out your child is a drug addict. To face trials such as these without the hope of God in my life...I can't imagine.

Recently, I was going through a time when I had a lot on my plate. I had a full class schedule in seminary, was serving as an intern pastor at my church, dealing with some health issues, not to mention going through menopause. Emotionally, I was coming uncorked. I found myself unexpectedly weeping and becoming depressed to the point of debilitation. As I talked with my doctor about it, I told her that the worst thing was that I felt far away from God. I couldn't hear Him; I couldn't feel Him; and I felt like I had lost my Best Friend. (I emphasize felt because it only felt like it, but God was always there.) My doctor was surprised to hear me say this considering the fact that I was in seminary and serving at my church. But that's not God. That's not the one-on-one intimate relationship with Him. None the less, she encouraged me to make my God time a priority along with some meds. That night was the beginning of making my God time a bigger priority in my life. As soon as I did that, the hope, the connection and the peace with God came flooding back.

This example is only a feeling of no hope. I always had the hope of God with me. But, to not have that hope is a frightening thought. I wouldn't want to live without it. There's only one way to have that hope...faith in Jesus, the Messiah.

Ephesians 2
v.4: But God, who is abundant in mercy, because of His great love that He had for us, 
v.5: made us alive with the Messiah even though we were dead in trespasses. By grace you are saved!
v.8: For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift
v.9: Not from works, so that no one can boast.

1 comment:

  1. Lauri I enjoyed reading Hope With God.I can relate to the part when you was talking about having alot on your plate at certain times in your life.I have went through alot of difficult times in my life Lauri. But with my Hope and faith I have in My God he has always seen me through them.Just like it says in the Bible he will go to the end of the earth with us.Hang in there Lauri.There are times in everyones life when we feel far away from God.But in these times he is always there with us.He knows why we are going theough things when we dont.He will go to the end of the earth with us.I Like how honest you are lauri in your writings about your own personal life. But most important God likes the truth and he honors the truth.I have suffered and battled depression in my life at certain times in my life from things that have happened in my Life and God always seen me through all the Bad times and all the good times.Thats why I like this. THIS TO SHALL PASS.Because no matter what happens to us here on earth he will see us through it. Even if that mean its his time to call us home. Hang in there Lauri Praying for you and I know in return you pray for me and my family. This To Shall Pass.Love in Christ Patty.

    ReplyDelete