Sunday, March 14, 2010

An Awesome Thing

It's been awhile since I've sat down to write a post for my blog. I just haven't felt an inspiration to write. Since I've gone back to seminary for this spring semester, I've been a bit overwhelmed with studying and reading, reading, reading... But, at the moment, I have something on my mind that I need to share.

I have preached 3 times in my life. The first time was at my mom's funeral, the second was last summer when I filled in for my pastor and the third time was just recently in my Intro to Preaching class. I prayerfully and carefully prepared each sermon and they went well but now I have two upcoming sermons that have me humbly begging God for help.

While I was laid up with my broken knee last fall, I began a personal study on the Bible and what it says it is. I was reminded of things I already knew and grasped things I hadn't heard before. I realized, to my core, that "ALL SCRIPTURE IS GOD BREATHED." (II Timothy 3:16) I realized the importance of the Holy Spirit in determining what a passage of scripture really means. I understand that to try and interpret it with our own limited minds, is to get something that is not God. I realize more than ever the awesome treasure that is God's word.

The upcoming sermon's facing me include a sermon I have to write based on Proverbs 8 and a sermon for the beginning of the Holiest week in our faith. I feel so inept in so many ways. I've never been a "churchy" person. My relationship with God was always a personal thing until just the past couple of years but now I am presenting a very important sermon at a very important time of year and I don't want to drop the ball. Since I have realized the awesomeness of God's word, I don't want to misrepresent, misinform or mistake my agenda for His. Don't get me wrong, I want to do this but I am feeling a bit sheepish.

When I got up this morning, the work I had done on my Proverbs 8 sermon was still ringing in my head and I began to pick it apart. It's not gonna be good enough. Who am I to do this?? I'm so inadequate. I, of course, prayed to God laying my fears and insecurities out before Him only to be inspired to write this blog post and then to read the following..."The Lord said to him, 'Who made the human mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, seeing or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go! I will help you speak and I will teach you what to say.'" (Exodus 4:11-12)

It is an awesome thing to be given the responsibilities to teach and preach from the Word of God and I will trust that God will give me the words when I need them and make me well able to handle the task at hand.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY!!


2 comments:

  1. I love the verses in Exodus Laurie! God's word will be your words if you continue to keep your heart open to Him. And I know you WILL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you again! I am speaking in about two weeks and have been challenged by 1 Peter 4, where he says, " when you speak, speak the very words of God." Completely overwhelming, I agree! The Word also says, "If any of you need wisdom, ASK for it." I'm there, and I know you are, too. Can't wait to hear the wonderful way God shows you His favor! Praying for you (and please pray for me!)

    ReplyDelete