Thursday, December 17, 2009

An Angel In Disguise

A few years ago, my daughter Chelsi got a job at a local Arby's. While she worked there, we came to know a woman who came in every day at noon. There was never a day she missed. Her name was Marilyn and she had been coming in for so many years that she was given a name tag from the Arby's folks. It was not unusual to see her cleaning off tables, wiping down the pop and condiments counter, and even going behind the front counter to help out where needed. I remember wondering why she did this and thought maybe it was because she was retired and needed something to do. She wasn't being paid and didn't have to be there but she had better attendance than most of the employees. She was always so friendly and welcoming and I loved stopping in at lunchtime to see Chelsi and find her there.

After Chelsi left Arby's for her current job at Officemax, we still made occassional trips to Arby's to visit with Marilyn at lunchtime but as time went on and life got busy, we didn't go in as often. Several months had passed and we realized it had been awhile so we went in to see Marilyn. We were shocked to find that she had cancer. She was wearing a wig and smiling and greeting people just like always. As we talked with her, I heard her talk about her cancer with such faith. She talked about how she knew God was in control and that he can heal her and that no matter what happens, she will be just fine. I stood there, talking with this woman tired from the chemo but spiritually strong. She loved God and shared that love with everyone she met. She explained to us that her daily visits to Arby's was a ministry God had put on her heart years ago. It was beautiful.

Months later, my mom went into home hospice care. I was losing her. My heart was so heavy and the grief was so strong. I went directly to Arby's. As I walked in the door, there was Marilyn, cleaning the pop and condiment counter. She looked at me and said, "What's wrong?" I went right to her without a word and was embraced as I sobbed on her shoulder. She told me it was going to be ok. I shared with her what was going on with Mom and she told me she would be praying for her and my family. We talked about God's love and eternity and I was comforted greatly.

Today, I was struggling with the loss of my mom and Christmas coming up and the ball and chain feeling this recovering knee is causing. So much is going on on both sides of my family and my heart was heavy. I had spent the morning crying with a friend of mine and after she left, I decided to take a shower. I turned on some music by Jerry Williams formerly of the 80's Christian group "Harvest". I listened to his inspired songs as I prepared for the rest of my day and it came to me, "Go see Marilyn." After I showered, I got myself together and went to Arby's. There she was...hollowed eyes, pale and very thin. Fragile?? Not so's you'd notice. We talked about her chemo and how the cancer has spread into her back and how they had to drain fluid off her lungs the other day. "But, " she said, "God is still good and I know I'm gonna be ok. I'm not worried about it. God knows what He's doing and I'm thankful. Whatever happens I'm ready." She shared about how the things in this world just don't matter to her any more. She doesn't get upset about things like she used to. (Signs of a foot in eternity) I was inspired and reminded of God and His wonderful Kingdom and how I am a part of that. It is forever but this world is not.

What a special lady Marilyn is. The day she goes home to Jesus I will be very sad and yet rejoicing for her. I call her an angel because she truly is a messenger from God.

3 comments:

  1. Geesh Laurie! I didn't want to cry today (seems like the days leading up to Christmas are really hard!). But they're happy tears. What a beautiful story. Makes you realize that we all have our callings... even spending time at Arby's. Imagine how many other people Marilyn touched!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love Marilyn! I think she's made her a spot in both of our hearts that we'll always have. What is it with us and getting attached to people somehow involved with where we eat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perspective is a beautiful thing. Praising Him that He spoke a word to your heart through one of His own. I am praying for you today, because I know what it feels like.

    ReplyDelete