Friday, December 11, 2009

Meet my "kids"

For the past three months, I have been sitting at home mostly and there are two sweet souls who have made it so much easier for me. They have been my constant companions and I have bonded with them even more than I was before...which was considerable. I'd like to take this time to introduce you to them....they are truly precious.


First, meet Roy. Roy is our 3 1/2 year old dachshund. As you can see, he is adorable but the picture does not do him justice. He is a love bug. So many times, as I sat in my recliner, leg elevated on a pillow and whimpering in pain little Roy would sit on my lap, leaning back cradled in my arm and looking adoringly into my teary eyes. A gentle lick on the nose was his way of saying, "I love you. Everything's gonna be ok. I feel your pain." Those big brown eyes are so expressive!! He is the top dog in the house. He has learned how to outsmart my other dog...who I will introduce in a moment. Take for instance when my other dog has a toy Roy wants: Roy will walk over to the back door and begin barking furiously. This gets the full attention of my other dog who goes running frantically to the back door, barking all the way. As she runs to the door, Roy runs to the desired toy and takes it into the other room and hides it. She falls for it everytime!! Roy is Tony's dog but we share him. He's our baby boy.


And finally, my baby girl, Gracie. Gracie is a 3 year old yellow lab. She's beautiful!! When we first got her at the age of 4 months, she was a handful. If you've ever seen a lab puppy in action, you know what I'm talking about. My goodness!!! The movie Marly and Me (yes, I've seen it and I'll never watch it again. Can't handle it) does not exagerate. I didn't think I would ever adjust to her. She has since mellowed out a bit and has turned into a precious companion. She's so bright and so gentle. She and Roy went to obedience school when they were younger. Roy had to quit because he was too vocal and too afraid to handle it. Gracie, on the other hand, did quite well and as her extra trick for graduation, she learned how to bow...tail in the air, head and chest on the ground. Since my recent injury, she has been so supportive. After I got out of my cast, I began the task of bending my knee which had been immobilized for 2 months. This was pain that caused me to wail and cry the first few days. One day, as I worked with my knee, sobbing in pain, Gracie layed on the floor next to me just watching me and whining. Then she got up, found one of her toys and layed it in my lap. My tears gave way to laughter. I hugged on her neck and kissed her sweet snout. What a sweetheart!! While Gracie is my dog, Tony has fallen in love with her too.

So, you see, these little souls have been wonderful companions during my recovery and have found an even more precious place in my heart. If you're a dog lover, you know exactly what I'm talking about.


No comments:

Post a Comment