Sunday, December 6, 2009

NOISE, NOISE, NOISE

While sitting quietly in my living room this morning, no TV, no radio, no Cd's or MP3s playing; I realized that I was feeling uncomfortable. It was quiet. No distractions. No noise. I remembered the night before as I lye in bed trying to pray, my mind was racing with the "noise" of that day. Commercials, theme songs, music, lyrics, lines from movies all rushing through my mind at break neck speed. It was hard to be quiet in the presence of God and talk with Him.

This world has inundated us with constant entertainment, stimulating every audio and visual nerve receptor in our brains. It is so commonplace that the thought of having a home without a TV, stereo or computer seems cruel and unusual. Children are presented with toys that speak, act and think for them. Is it not the truth, that when we are walking through the toy section of a store, we grab that sweet little stuffed puppy and look for the button that makes it bark or dance or pant and when it doesn't have it, we toss it aside??

Satan has a very effective, very subtle weapon...DISTRACTION. We are flooded with it and it is such a part of our lives we don't see it for what it is. I challenge us...yes, that includes me...to fight the distractions. Have that morning quiet time, turn the radio off in the car and drive quietly listening for your God, work around the house without the TV on. Remember, sometimes the reason we don't hear from God is that we are so distracted, He couldn't get our attention if He had a megaphone to our ear. Think about it.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right! When I came back home as a SAHM the 2nd time, it was the quiet that got me. Then I began to love it. Thoughtful words this morning!

    ReplyDelete