Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Gratitude

After going to the physical therapist yesterday and finding that my knee is at a 47 degree bend, I woke up this morning with a bit of a chip on my shoulder at the immobility of it and how much work it was going to take to get it back to normal. I looked down at my knee and got a sudden flashback of seeing my leg in an ankle to hip blue fiberglass cast just over a month ago. It was completely straight, very painful and I was taking a constant flow of pain medicine. I longed for the day when I could DO something to help the healing. Well, that day is here and I'm whining and complaining. As I stared at that leg with the memories flooding me, I thought to myself, "How ungrateful."

God is my loving Father...among other things. Being a parent myself, I can't help but wonder how it would feel if I gave my daughter a gift, perhaps something she specifically asked for, and she complained that it wasn't enough. Thankfully, I have been blessed with a daughter who is very grateful when I give her a gift. (This made single parenthood so much easier when I couldn't give her exactly what she wanted)

How can we expect God to abundantly bless us when we are ungrateful for the many ways He already does??

Several years ago, I learned the concept of gratitude in a very real way. I was working as a medical claims processor and I hated my job. I didn't want to make friends with anyone and I was miserable every time I went to work. I started to realize how ungrateful I was being about my job so I began looking for things to thank God for. It began with simple things like, "Thank you God for this comfortable chair I get to sit in"; "Thank you that I get to listen to my Cd's while I work"; "Thank you for the view outside the office window". I began to appreciate my job and making friends. I met some wonderful people and am still very good friends with one in particular. But, the biggest thing that developed was the ability to witness about my faith to those I worked with. The people there began to notice the music I listened to and the teaching tapes I listened to and they started listening to some of them. They would come to me and ask me about issues in their lives and their faith. The biggest honor I was given was being appointed the one to pray with our unit after the terrorist attacks of 9/11.

"...in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." --Philippians 4:6b-7

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Visiting the LPM blog and noticed you were a new blogger; so am I!
    Thanks for sharing such a powerful word; issues with work are making me gripe, and I needed to be reminded that God has blessed my family abundantly!

    ReplyDelete